A delicious choice for breakfast or brunch, shrimp and grits is a hearty comfort food at its finest. A southern classic of cheesy grits, coupled with blackened shrimp is a dish designed to please.
I love grits! Says in my best Bubba Gump’s Bubba Blue voice. Grits are good with shrimp, for breakfast, with butter and sugar, or salt and pepper. Grits are good at brunch or supper. Pan fried, stirred in for texture. Grits are great with sausage or bacon, smothered in red-eye gravy. Grits are magic!
I’m a grits fan. I love the smooth taste of creamy and cheesy grits, which makes this one of my favorite dishes to make. Breakfast, brunch or supper, Shrimp & Grits are my comfort food gold. Add a little bacon and I’m walking in high cotton for my taste buds. Grits….shrimp….bacon……HEAVEN!!!
Comfort food is really anything you want at that time.
GOOD FOOD. GOOD FRIENDS. GOOD TIMES
Southern Shrimp & GritsPrint This
1 pound 21-30 count shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 pieces thick bacon, cut in 1” pieces
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1 tablespoon garlic
2 tablespoons FLP blackening seasoning
*1 tablespoon smoked paprika
*1 teaspoon oregano
*1 teaspoon salt
*½ teaspoon pepper
*1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
*1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup grits
1 ½ cups water
2 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon cream cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook bacon pieces until crisp.
- Peel and devein shrimp. Pat dry and then cover in blackening seasoning.
- Remove bacon from skillet and transfer to a paper towel to drain. Leave the bacon drippings in the pan and add blackened seasoned shrimp.
- Cook shrimp about 1 minute on each side. Do not overcook or your shrimp will get rubbery.
- Add milk, water, salt & pepper to a heavy sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Gradually whisk in grits and keep stirring to prevent any lumps. Bring to a boil again (bubbling around the edges of the pot) and reduce heat. Cover and simmer until water is fully absorbed and the grits are thick. About 12-15 minutes.
- Remove grits from heat. Add butter, cream cheese and shredded cheese, stirring until fully melted.
- Serve immediately in individual bowls. Add shrimp, bacon and green onions.