The first time I ever had fish tacos, it was a mistake. I had ordered blackened chicken tacos and the kitchen gave me fish. It was the best mistake ever. They were delicious and I had to know how to make them. Much to everyone at lunch’s chagrin, I asked the waiter for their recipe. They laughed at me when she shrugged.
That was just not going to do. I had to know.
I ordered a set to-go and began tearing apart the recipe, one bite at a time. The fish part was easy, for the fish (cod or catfish) I used FoodLovePlay VooDoo Seasoning or you can use a simple blackening recipe. The coleslaw and avocado sauce took more time. Two weeks, a couple more to-go orders and about 40 homemade fish tacos later, I got it right.
All you need is love and tacosTorchy’s
GOOD FOOD. GOOD FRIENDS. GOOD TIMES.
© FoodLovePlay. All images & content are the sole property of FoodLovePlay. Please obtain permission prior to using my images. If you would like to republish a recipe, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words
Blackened Fish TacosPrint This
- 2 TBSP Paprika
- 2 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Salt
- Pinch Pepper
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 cups fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage (1 medium head)
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 8 cod filets
- 16 Corn tortillas
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 Fresh limes, halved
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for blackening fish
- Add avocados, cilantro and yogurt to a food processor. Pulse until there is a rough mixture. Add garlic, salt, pepper, jalapeno, water and lime juice and pulse until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use, at least 2 hours
- Pat cod dry with a paper towel. Season cod all over with spice mix. Set aside to “marinate” in the dry spaces, for about 10 minutes.
- While the fish marinates, chop and mix all ingredients for the coleslaw. Stir to coat well and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and sear fish on each side, about 2-3. Remove from skillet and cut into large chunks.
- Heat the tortillas and assemble the tacos.
- Serve immediately.