It’s cold. It’s rainy. It’s January. Fuzzy socks and soup
This broccoli cheese soup is creamy, full of veggies and a
delicious homemade treat. Add in a sandwich and we are talking about warm and
heavenly. I like easy soups, especially when I’m cold. My stomach is demanding
when it’s cold. 😉
When I first started playing with this recipe, there were a
lot of changes. Parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper and even oregano (just say no).
I went with the smoked paprika because it gives the soup a depth that you don’t
normally get. The other flavors come from having a good chicken broth.
It is also important that when you make your roux that you
keep whisking. Don’t let it cook too much before adding the chicken broth. The
roux should be a medium brown or peanut color when it’s ready. This roux will
thicken up your soup to give it a hearty flavor.
Make a pot of this soup, find some great Netflix to binge
and get your fluffy socks. It’s soup time!!
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth.
GOOD FOOD. GOOD FRIENDS. GOOD TIMES.
© FoodLovePlay. All images & content are the sole property of FoodLovePlay. Please obtain permission prior to using my images. If you would like to republish a recipe, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words
Broccoli Cheese SoupPrint This
- In a saucepan, add 1 tablespoon butter, onion and saute until barely brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cook about 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add remaining butter, flour, cook over medium heat to make a roux. Whisk constantly and flour will thicken.
- Slowly add in chicken stock, whisking constantly. Stir until incorporated completely.
- Add half-and-half, stirring constantly.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir a few times while simmering.
- Add chopped broccoli, shredded carrots, sauted onion, garlic, and spices. Stir and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add 12 ounces of the shredded cheese (do not use prepackaged cheese, it will make the soup oily) and stir well. Cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot, with remaining shredded cheese on top.