Red beans and rice is a classic southern dish that is very different from house to house. The spice mixture is scared. LOL. My grandma and her sister would argue over the “family recipe”, since their mother, wrote it down different for each of them. Evidently that happens a lot – story to come later about GMA and her sister with the Granny’s stuffing recipe.
Back to red beans and rice. There are numerous things that make this staple dish vital in your house. One, you can feed an army with very little expense. Two, this isn’t a side dish, it’s a full meal. Thick beans over fluffy rice, add a cold glass of sweet tea, a slice of cornbread with fresh butter and you’ve got a meal that will ‘stick to your ribs’. In non-southern terms, that means, “it’s gonna make you full”.
While I love a crockpot, this family recipe is for the stovetop. If you want to use a crockpot/slow cooker, add 6 cups water to your chicken stock and you don’t have to soak your beans first. You can add everything together, cook on low for 8-12 hours. Stirring often.
Red beans and ricely yours.Louis Armstrong
GOOD FOOD. GOOD FRIENDS. GOOD TIMES.
© FoodLovePlay. All images & content are the sole property of FoodLovePlay. Please obtain permission prior to using my images. If you would like to republish a recipe, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words
Red Beans and RicePrint This
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans
- 8-10 cups water (for soaking)
- ½ cup Pancetta, diced
- 1 lb Andouille Sausage, sliced
- 10 cups Chicken stock
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 Celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp Parsley, fresh
- ½ tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- ½ cup Green onions, chopped
- 6 cups White rice, cooked
- In an extra-large stockpot, add dried kidney beans and 8-10 cups of cold water. Cover stockpot and let soak for 12 hours or more. Overnight works best.
- Drain water from beans. Add chicken stock and bay leaves to stockpot with beans. Bring to a rolling boil; reduce heat to medium high and cook for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom.
- In a skillet, add pancetta, celery, red bell pepper and diced onion. Brown over medium high heat, about 4 minutes. Add in sausage and garlic. Cook 3 minutes, stirring often. Add mixture to red beans stockpot.
- Reduce heat on stockpot and simmer, uncovered, about 1 ½ hours. Stir every 20ish minutes. Beans will soften and thicken up.
- Stir in parsley, thyme, oregano, basil, black pepper, cayenne, salt and paprika. Cook for another 30 minutes. Keep a eye on your mixture, there should be no watery sloshing when you stir. It should have a thick consistency. If still watery, keep cooking until it is thicker.
- Remove from heat. Take out bay leaves.
- Serve hot over the top of warm white rice. Garnish with green onions. Hot sauce to taste.